Water Joins Us Together!
Welcome to LU Water
LUWater is a cross-faculty network with the aim to gather researchers in the water field at Lund University. The water field is a complex issue that involves many different sectors, and therefore it needs to be analysed from a multidisciplinary approach. The Water Portal creates a platform for this by connecting researchers in different faculties to each other as well as to external stakeholders.
Water is a necessity for life. But there are grand challenges in the water field, such as insufficient access to clean water, water contamination, flooding, droughts, international conflicts and even economic and political issues. Water has become a worldwide issue and is an important component of the Sustainable Development Goals. However, there are also great opportunities in the water field; for research, development and business ideas, such as innovative treatment methods to provide clean and safe water, modelling for early warning and forecasting of flooding and droughts, integrated water resources management tools to solve transboundary water issues, optimisation of industrial processes and many more. Water is one of the most important resources in society – the challenge is to handle it in a sustainable way.
Water is a field that involves many different actors, perspectives and challenges. It is an issue that goes into all different areas – it is a political, economical, industrial, chemical and geological issue. To find solutions to the challenges, cross-faculty and multidisciplinary cooperation is necessary. The idea of the Water Portal is to bring all these projects and faculties together and encourage work across faculties to solve challenges in the water field.
The Water Portal is a way to show internal and external actors the knowledge at Lund University and facilitate cooperation between researchers and industry. The network gives information to the members about ongoing activities and application sources to facilitate their work. Water Portal is a link between different actors and helps researchers, international partners and industry find the right contact person within the network.
- To demonstrate competence in the water-field at Lund University.
- To provide open channels and a contact platform for new research opportunities and innovation within the water sector for multidisciplinary collaboration within Lund University, as well as with business and the surrounding community in order to meet future challenges in water issues.
- To demonstrate education capacity in the water field and attract more resources for continuous development of professionals.
- To create a window for public education on water questions and environmental awareness.
LU Water is part of the thematic collaboration initiatives at Lund University. You can read further about this on the LU website for collaboration initiatives (Swedish only).
- View the latest report on the thematic collaboration initiatives at Lund University. Nilsson, C., Romare, P., Thelin, L. och E. Wise (2020) Tematiska samverkansinitiativ vid Lunds universitet – Resultat och reflektioner, Lunds universitet, Lund, 42 sidor. (pdf, external link to Google Drive, available in Swedish)
Subscribe to our bi-monthly newsletter to stay up to date with current news, conferences, work opportunities, publications etc. Subscribe to the LU Water Newsletter (external link).